Pages

Followers

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Fun with Pattern Blocks

I had bought this pattern blocks set from Amazon for R Jr.'s Easter Basket this past Easter. He didn't really show a lot of interest for a couple of months, but has now really taken a liking to it. This is surely one of his favorite activities in the house that he can do independently.

Cons: The biggest problem with this set is that the pieces move a lot, so I have to keep putting them back in place before he gets frustrated. Also, while this set comes in a two compartment wooden box to store the pattern boards and pieces, it does not have a cover(just a plastic sheet) and the pieces could easily get lost. So, I have the pieces in a ziploc bag.

Pros: Like any Melissa and Doug toy, this is a very durable, sturdy set. The set also has a list of "extension activities" to put it to more creative use. There are 5 double-sided pattern boards (that is, two images per board), making it pretty compact. Each shape has a very distinguishable bright color, making it so attractive to the young ones.

Pattern blocks help kids:
  • build visual- spatial skills
  • increase pattern recognition
  • practice shape recognition
  • visualize how shapes work together to create new shapes
  • master color recognition
  • learn beginning math concepts
  • practice creativity
(Pardon the picture quality above. We just happened to do this at night, and this is the best shot I could get.)

There are a lot of free printable pattern templates available online to keep it interesting and challenging for the little ones. I also print out the shapes using colored sheets and cut them out. I put some glue on the pattern outline so that he can just place the desired shapes on to the template. I have never asked R Jr. to do this, but he almost always tends to count the number of blocks each pattern requires, like 4 squares, 2 hexagons etc. Isn't that a nice way of learning to count too..

Here is a list of online resources:
Printable source 1 (also has a good collection of Christmas themed patterns.)
Printable source 2

Note: The review of the product above is based on my personal experiences. I have not been contacted by the manufacturer or any retailer for this review.

5 comments:

(Single)Mommy said...

Hi I'm a new follower from Thirsty Thursday. Melissa & Doug toys are great!! Thanks for the printables :)

**Tania**
http://myadventures-in-mommyland.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Awesome. I just bought some foam shapes that look like the wooden ones to do some educational games with my two year old!

Michelle F. said...

Hi! Thanks for following! I am following back now! Have a great day!

ftmommyferg.blogspot.com

Marcie W. said...

Thanks so much for following, and participating in my blog hop, Thirsty Thursday! Please join us each week to make new friends and have a drink!

Mar
www.obviously-marvelous.com

Amy said...

Hi there! Following back and thanks for stopping by! These are so neat! My boys are still too young for something like this but it really is cool. I'll have to keep it in mind!