Pages

Followers

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Paper weaving

I love ideas that are fun, creative, and that do not require a lot of planning or money. Paper weaving is actually something I did as a kid. For R Jr., it was a new idea and fun way to practice this style of weaving.
Here is what you need: Two sheets of thick construction paper(different colored) and scissors. That's it. Don't you love it already!!! No scope for your toddler to make a mess that cannot be cleaned up in a jiffy.
  • Fold one of the sheets into half and cut 1 inch slits from the folded edge and continue up to one inch from the opposite edge. Open up the page.
  • Cut the other sheet into one inch strips.
  • Take one strip and weave it horizontally across the slits, going over and under the slits. Push it to the top and repeat with other strips alternating the sequence of going up and down to create a pattern.
This simple craft offers kids an opportunity to exercise their fingers and imagination. It also helps improve coordination and forces them to focus on the details of the task at hand. R Jr. started off with very keen interest but not for too long...

His interest waned off in a bit but at least managed to complete half the sheet with some help. And then,we know that no toddler craft is complete without a drop of drool here and there(alteast R Jr. has to bless everything with a bit of drool:)) Here is R Jr. goofing around with his final product.

4 comments:

Samantha said...

hey there- proud to be your first follower :)

http://havesippywilltravel.blogspot.com/

Have Sippy Will Travel

if you want, we can follow each other on FaceBook too :)

Lisa said...

Thanks for finding me and following! I'm now your newest follower! :)
Lisa xoxo

Dana @ The Coupon Challenge said...

Thanks for joinging Surfin' Saturdays! I'm following you back!

Great craft idea!

J Rodney said...

Thanks for visiting Frugality Is Free, I'm now your newest follower.

My boys and I weave Christmas hearts for the Christmas tree, as this is a tradition I grew up with.

I would love it, if you would come join
The Sunday Twitter Exchange @ Frugality Is Free.